Wednesday, October 16, 2013

CLAMP haul + SHINee's back! (and hopefully, so am I)

Hello world!
I am back from my very long hiatus brought upon me by college finals and stuff. Although I still have a few entrance exams to give.. ( ̄◇ ̄;)


But anyhoo, in other news, I mage a big CLAMP haul last week. I really missed buying manga and I was over the moon when I found out that Dark Horse and Viz Media were coming out with omnibus editions! Especially old-school CLAMP manga like Tokyo Babylon and X- oh my God- the art, the plot, the gore, the detail! (。’▽’。)♡

Here are a few pictures:



FINALLY ARRIVED! (^0^ )

On top is the last volume of Tsubasa (Vol. 28) and it is almost double the size of the normal volumes! No colour pages though! :< ( I was hoping there'd be a few seeing how it is the last installment in this epic tale!) But nonetheless, I still love it! :3


Now, on to Tokyo Babylon


For those of you who are recent followers of CLAMP and have just fallen in love with their art and characters- this manga is a must-read! I first read it 4 years ago on a whim- I had just developed a new obsession with CLAMP and I was intrigued to see their other works besides CCS, Tsubasa and xxxHolic. 

I was initially drawn to it because:
a) It is kinda like the prequel of "X 1999"
b) It is shonen-ai (BL) ~ (。・ω・。)

And as I started reading it, I realised that Seishiro was  a creep  hiding something dark and had some weird ulterior motive to do with Subaru (what earlier seemed was to molest him or something)  :/ 
And by the end of the manga I was almost in tears! I will not reveal anything, but do read it! As a true CLAMP fan, you will not only love the "old-school" feel in the art style, but also appreciate the artists for making such a violent, heart-breaking romance. 


Oh Seishiro, you handsome creep you! :D

Seriously digging vintage CLAMP!
At 500+ pages each, with lovely colour pages- Dark Horse has done a marvelous job in restoring this amazing work!

And now on to X! 

So after reading Tokyo Babylon, I was COMPELLED to read X! It promised me blood, gore, characters with disturbing pasts, magic, apocalypse-related prophecies, beautiful art, and finally- what happened to Subaru and Seishiro after Tokyo Babylon.

I was not disappointed. 4 volumes in, and I was already obsessed. Sadly, my summer vacation ended around that time, so I couldn't continue reading it online. I searched for the volumes on websites but to no avail. After finding out that omnibuses (with colour pages!) were now being published, how could I ignore the screaming of my inner fangirl?

The first thing I noticed about it was how big and shiny it was! Just how I pictured it! And Viz Media had ensured to keep the original spine art as well! 

So shiny! *0*

This was a bookmark that came with it! Thank you Flipkart- for making me smile with your silly bookmarks for the umpteenth time :)

And look how big it is! :O

OMG, Kamui..Fuuma..the art..the detail..*melts*

I wish they'd bring back the X 1999 tarot cards too!

So pretty!  (´∀`)

Sorry for the blurry picture, but basically, the last few pages have translation notes along with notes about the each artwork featured- including the materials used, when it was first featured and the technique. For an art geek like me, this was a HUGE bonus :D



This manga is unlike most shoujo mangas out there. In fact the only "shoujo" characteristics of it would be the art and some of the characters. Otherwise, you have a pretty dark and violent story in this lovely classic by CLAMP. 
The only depressing part is that CLAMP never finished it and the manga is still stuck at 18 volumes :< But after seeing that they have resumed work for Legal Drug, I now have hope that they may finish this too. ^^

Oh by the way, have you seen SHINee's new video? The first time I saw it, their uniform and all the strange wires made me go "OMG CLAMP!" Seriously, watch it, and then look at the picture of Subaru that I have put up ;D


I LOVE the dance! I actually watched the video 5-6 times to see all the little details in it! And I adore the uniforms too! (although they really do remind me of vintage CLAMP). The song is pretty catchy but does no justice whatsoever to SHINee's vocals. But all the same, in brief- I like the song, love the video, and hate the dub-step. (But the dance is just filled with so much win!~ <3)

Anyhoo, it felt good posting after so long! I will definitely post more often now that I have some time on my hands. Thanks for reading! 
(⌒▽⌒)

No comments:

Post a Comment