Tuesday, October 22, 2013

SHINee "Everybody" mini album review: Noona likes!


First of all, I will take this moment to say- SHINee's back!! (haha, get it? :D *lame joke*)
But anyhoo, honestly, these boys have been working SO hard this year! It's like S.M Ent. just decided- " hey y'know what, let's get those SHINee boys back to work. We have other artists besides EXO too... Now where did that Super whatstheirname go?"

But seriously, SHINee's been releasing video after video, releasing SO many songs- and hell, I can't imagine how worked they must be! But most of their songs this year have shown their versatility. Since Lucifer, they have shown us that they're growing up too. They're no longer the noona's sweethearts that they used to be (although in my heart, they will always be noona's boys) *yes Taemin, I am looking at you; I am not noona to the others, haha* With the album Dream Girl- they did show a lot of their usual happy, love-struck self. But here is where I feel S.M made a brilliant move- Dream Girl (The Misconceptions of You) is filled with more cute-sy songs, while Why So Serious? (The Misconceptions of Me) is much darker, grittier. I feel this was very observant and clever since one generally does tend to exaggerate one's own faults and negativity while simultaneously overplaying your loved one's good traits- even making up characteristics where there are none- because admit it, you're just blindly in love to notice the dark bits.

Now back to the main topic- Everybody, their latest album.
Fabulous- yes. Jewellery is love. But honestly, I was hoping for something more..different? This somehow didn't cut it for me as a teaser pic, but that's just my opinion.

TBH, my first reaction was:

When the video teasers,etc started coming out I didn't really pay attention . But then the video of Everybody was released, and I was just like "oh hot damn, that choreography! hmm, the song's pretty catchy too, though the dub-step doesn't really let SHINee show their true vocal talent,etc,etc" But little did I realise that this was just the tip of the iceberg. 

Who knew Taemin would grow up so much? ♥~(‘▽^人)
(Also doesn't he remind you of Jaejoong from his Mirotic days?)

Taemin- please GAIN some weight! Noona is happy about you growing up, but please eat more!  ( ≧Д≦)
I shall try to be brief in my review but please bear in mind- I have a tendency to ramble (-_-" )


1) Everybody


RATING: 4/5 
I love this song for it's catchy tune, pumping beats and though I generally cringe at dub-step; this song has blended it in well enough that the vocals still get enough focus. Plus, there is no rap which in my books is a big plus. Great song to get the album started! And as usual, if you've seen the video- SHINee has again proven itself to be dance masters. With propellers, defibrillators, wind-up toys and other mechanics being simulated with such grace and energy, and the sheer complexity of it- the boys have outdone themselves! In fact the dance reminded me of TVXQ's dance in Catch Me, due to the formations and the amazing coordination.

2) 상사병 (Symptoms)


RATING: 4.5/5
Okay, the only reason I deducted a half-point here is because it took me some time to really appreciate this song. I know for a lot of Shawols out there- this was an instant fave. But honestly, I really do love this song- it has a great R&B feel, amazing vocals, a good mix of tempos and yet maintains a mood of yearning and lovesickness. SHINee's talent really gets displayed here.  
[ Go read the LYRICS ]

3)  빗 속 뉴욕 (Queen of New York)


RATING: 3.5/5
This upbeat song blends musical elements of the 70's and 80's with some slight trace of dub-step. As much as I enjoyed this song- it didn't stand out as much as Symptoms did. But it's a lovely number all the same.
[ Go read the LYRICS ]

4) 1분만  (One minute back)


RATING: 4/5
The song starts with industrial beats which keep repeating in the song. The song has a darker mood in it which is reminiscent of Misconceptions of Me. Being an industrial rock fan, I really enjoyed this. I hope SHINee keeps making more song like this- they're a welcome change from the usual boy-bands that one sees.
[ Go read the LYRICS ]

5) Destination


RATING: 3/5
Though this is more like the old SHINee, I appreciate this song much more for its lyrics. I love the beats and the pace. The lyrics were a treat to read - I interpret them to be the most relevant to their defense forces concept. The song seems to be about blindly following orders and goals that are engrained in us- to create history though following a previously trodden path. Here's an excerpt:
Nothing I wasn’t able to hear, nothing I wasn’t able to say
Close my eyes and turn the light on, putting up theory without logic up front

This is right because of this, just remember it like that
Don’t even realize it may be wrong
To follow something without being completely sure of the logic in it- it can apply to a relationship but I feel it better applies to a soldier or an officer, following his country's ideals- not entirely sure of where his efforts will take him.
[ Go read the LYRICS ]

6) 닫아줘 (Close the Door)


RATING: 4/5
Once again- SHINee's vocals get their much deserved spotlight in this song. It has a very relaxing mood. But somehow, this song also reminded me of SHINee's "Your Name" or maybe it's just me...
[ Go read the LYRICS ]

7)  Colorful


RATING: 4/5
Haha, so many of you might say this is typically kpop-like, and maybe it is. But this song is a great mood lifter. This is coming from a person who was stuck in a really blue funk for the past week! It seems to have the same effect on me as Super Junior's Sapphire Blue and Happiness. The fast pace, the cute lyrics, the pop sound- how can I not consider it an auditory anti-depressant? Thank you boys for cheering me up once more! (T▽T)
[ Go read the LYRICS ]

OVERALL RATING: 4/5 
[Hot diggety, this is going on my shopping list! (*^▽^*) ]

How can I resist? ;D

On a side note- I'm an ELF before I'm a Shawol. But I love these boys all the same! 
(^ω^)
This post is purely my opinion so please don't hate me/ spam me for it! 
Do let me know what you think though! We can fangirl together :)


No comments:

Post a Comment